PC Games Review
Ok, with Call of Duty and Ghost Recon pretty well mastered, I put games down for a couple of months, but with a new Calvin PC coming with a mid range graphics card, time to see what’s around:
* “Game Rankings”:http://gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp. A very neat meta site that gloms together reviews from the top web sites so you can look at the best games across the net.
* “Gamespy Reviews”:http://pc.gamespy.com/reviews/?&constraint.grid.sort=Score&constraint.grid.sortorder=desc. PC Gamer make it really hard to find games ratings and sort them. Not so Gamespy. Their favorites seem to mirror mine (e.g., Doom 3, etc.)
* “Doom 3”:http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/doom-3/536705p1.html. The famous Doom 3, main issue is that it really requires the new ATI X800XT or the nVidia 6800GT to show itself off. Main thing is the graphics are more about a terror than sneaky villians or monsters.
* “Far Cry”:http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/far-cry/506075p1.html. Ive played the demo levels but haven’t bought the full game yet.
* “Half Life 2”. Its finally just about here.
Coming in a month or so…
* “Full Spectrum Warrior”:http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/full-spectrum-warrior/. Due this September, this is supposedly adapted from an actual US Army combat simulator. It appeared first on X-box, but is now coming to the PC. Can’t wait. Seems to be in the tradition of Ghost Recon and Rainbox Six.
* “Call of Duty: United Offensive”:http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/call-of-duty-united-offensive/512774p1.html?fromint=1. This is the expansive pack for Call of Duty. A bunch more games for single player and new maps for multiplayer.
Coming in early 2005…
* PC: Brothers in Arms delayed. This is a more realistic WWII shooter. While I liked Call of Duty particularly for the soundtrack and the shake-when-hit, it wasn’t particularly realistic. Not like Ghost Recon for instance. Sounds like Brother in Arms coming in 1Q05 might fit that bill.
* “Ghost Recon 2”:http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/tom-clancys-ghost-recon-2/543525p1.html. The Xbox and PS2 versions ship first, then the PC version in 1Q05