Well, Gary has a cool Coolscan 4000 and it is amazing. I've been looking for a reasonably priced scanner with scratch removal:
* "Steve Digicam's Compendium":http://www.steves-digicams.com/scanners.html. Easily the most comprehension collection of reviews on high quality scanners.
* Canon just shipped the Lide 9900 which has scratch removal in a flat-bed for $399. Not bad.
* Canon Fare System Test. They use a proprietary scheme. Here's a sample of what it does.
* "Ken Rockwell":http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/2400.htm. Not very flattering review of a flat bed vs. a film scanner. He likes the Epson 2450 which has gotten good reviews for general purpose scanning.
* "Hively.com":http://www.hively.com/canoscan/. A review of the CanoScan FS4000S with FARE.
* "Petri Kokkonen":http://spaceweb.oulu.fi/~petri/canon_fs4000us.html. The likes the CanoScan and did an good analysis of FARE