Unlocking an Athlon XP
With Pentiums, the only way to overclock is to increase the bus speed of everything. But, the Athlon, with the right hardware and know how, you can leave the buses at their normal speeds and just increase the clock on the processor. here’s how:
* “XP-TMC Adaptor Socket”:http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030703/index.html. This is a piece of hardware that goes between the CPU and the motherboard socket and in effect decouples the processor clock from the bus clock. You can get this in bundles with motherboards for about $10-30 extra. A nice solution.
* Sharky Extreme. Or, you can go the manual route and connect together certain traces on the Athlon XP itself chip itself. “HighSpeed PC”:http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HSPC&Product_Code=XPkit&Category_Code=OC makes a kit to do just that.
* Other folks have used a car rear-window defogging “kit”:http://www.nvnews.net/articles/athlon_xp_unlocking/page_2.shtml if you can believe that.
* You can also use “Speed Strip”:http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/other_misc/Speed-Strip/ which is another hack that does the connection.
* “Viperlair”:http://www.viperlair.com/articles/howto/cpu/unlock/ explains that for Palomino, you have to connect five things, for Barton, its just one. Also if have an nVidia nForce 2 motherboard, you don’t have to do any of this which you’ll need since the latest Bartons have defeated all of this “mumbo jumbo”:http://www.ocprices.com/?rev_id=179.