Search, Search, Search
Search Engine Ratings And Reviews. We’ve been spending time learning about search engines and opportunities there. Here are some places to look.
Notes we’ve found:
* “Neilson Netratings”:http://www.searchenginewatch.com/reports/article.php/2156451. 29.5% Google, 28% Yahoo, 28% MSN, 18% AOL
* “Comscore”:http://www.searchenginewatch.com/searchday/article.php/2197801. Interesting analysis of the various search engine positions.
It’s interesting to note what works well and does not work well. For instance, local queries like the ones below:
* “Seattle Paintball”:http://www.google.com/search?q=seattle+paintball. Even though Google is wonderful, this is not particularly relevant
* “Seattle Bakery”:http://seattle.citysearch.com/search?lat=&long=&miles=&c_zip=&init_search=1&context=generic&cslink=cs_topbar_search&query=seattle+bakery. This is a city search for Seattle Bakery. Notice, it only returns bakery with Seattle in its name.
* “Seattle Bakery in Qwestdex”:http://qwestdex.com/servlet/ActionServlet?pid=bresults&vertical=&from=&resultform=basic&city=SEATTLE&dir=1159&inRegion=true&state=WA&metro=true&hdg_val=Bakers-Retail%23316%23reta&Submit.x=31&Submit.y=5. This is the yellow page guys. Notice the first hit is a bakery in Redmond. Not Seattle 🙁
* “Seattle Paintball”:http://search.msn.com/results.asp?RS=CHECKED&FORM=MSNH&v=1&q=seattle+paintball. MSN query is the closest so far but it first shows a site with just a GIF on it.
* “Seattle Plumber”:http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=seattle+plumber&FORM=SMCRT. Plumbers are slightly better. Close listing, but it is just a listing not a rating service.
* “Seattle Paintball on Dogpile”:http://search.dogpile.com/texis/search?q=seattle+paintball&cat=web&top=1. More interesting queryl.