The Webby Awards: 2004 Nominees & Winners. Always cool to see who is doing cutting edge web stuff. The Webby’s are one place to look. Some are not surprising (ituns for ecommerce, google for best practices). Others were new and interesting:
* “Tolerance.org”:http://tolerance.org. Won for activism.
* “POV Borders”:http://www.pbs.org/pov/borders/index_flash.html. This is about four teenagers crossing the US boarder. Amazing site.
* “BBC Human Body”:http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/. A cool site on the human body wins for education.
* “colette”:http://colette.fr. Fashion, what else. To me these Flash sites are a little too cute, but what can I say kind of neat.
* “Fog of War”:http://www.sonyclassics.com/fogofwar/. This documentary about Robert McNamara is depressing but pretty cool to look at.
* “Puzzle Pirates”:http://puzzlepirates.com. Cool games on the Internet for the kids.
* “The Onion”:http://www.theonion.com. For humor.
* “Epicurious.com”:http://www.epicurious.com. For living.
* “Access”:http://www.accessproject.net/. Kind of cool art.
* “RAKU-GAKI”:http://www.raku-gaki.com. What amazing personal sites. Also look at “Our son so far”:http://www.steveandria.com/kynan/, “Brukoworld”http://www.brukoworld.com, “GGreg”;http://ggreg.com, “Jeff Harris”:http://jeffharris.org
* “Meetup”:http://www.meetup.com and “”BlogforAmerica”:http://blogforamerica.com. Politics
* “Map24”:http://map24.com. Wow, a stunningly cool mapquest like thing, but way cooler. Also check out “Everything2”:http://everything2.com which is a wiki-like thing, “Grid”:http://gridcare.web.cern.ch/, “Teoma”:http://teoma.com and “Unihan”:http://unicode.org/charts/unihan.html
* “IgoUgo”:http://igougo.com for travel.
* “Car STuck Girls”:http://carstuckgirls.com for being just wierd.
* “WIRETAP”:http://wiretapmag.org for children websites.