The state of the world for “iPhone”:http://www.iphone4world.com/?p=82 firmware is very confusing. The things to understand is that there are three parameters, the version of your firmware (1.0.3, 1.1.1, 1.1.2 and the new 1.1.3) and different versions of the firmware that run the GSM baseband chipset (4.01.xx and 4.02.13_G) and different boot loaders (BOOT03.09_M3S2 and BOOT04.06_M3S2). So here is the current as of January 13th state of affairs:
* Firmware 1.1.3 is just out and you shouldn’t upgrade to it. It bricks your iphone. Just “announced”:http://www.gearlive.com/news/article/q407-iphone-113-firmware-feature-gallery/ and is a pretty big release. It lets you send SMS message to multiple people (not a big deal, there are third party updates to the text program that do this), Goog Maps can now show your location by cell tower triangulation, you can drag and drop icones to your home screen, the home screen shows paginiation and you can add web bookmarks to your home screen. Overall, this isn’t a huge release.
* Out of the box phones with 4.02.13_G and 1.1.2 and BOOT04.06_M3S2 can not be unlocked yet, so you are also stuck. This is because new iPhone all UK iphones have a new boot loader called BOOT04.06_M3S2 and they have not tested with bootloaders other than BOOT03.09_M3S2
* If you have an out of the box iPhone with 1.1.1, then you are in good shape. Going from Firmware 1.1.1 locked to 1.1.2 jailbroken and unlocked. “Pantsland.com”:http://www.pantsland.com/2007/12/03/simple-iphone-112-upgrade-instructions-with-unlock/ has a good guide. Basically, what you do is to first take your 1.1.1 system and get it back to locked. You do this by first virginizing your 1.1.1 system, this gets your iPhone baseband out of unlock, that is so that the 1.1.2 upgrade doesn’t brick your phone. Then you upgrade to 1.1.2 and now you have a virgin 1.1.2 with a new 4.02.13_G baseband but with the old bootloader BOOT03.09_M3S2. You then downgrade the firmware to 1.1.1
* Going from Unlocked and jailbroken 1.1.1 baseband 4.01.xx to unlocked and jailbroken 1.1.2 according to “Limitededitioniphone.com”:http://limitededitioniphone.com/easy-upgrade-from-unlocked-111-to-unlocked-112-firmware/ first run Oktoprep from the installer. Dock your iphone and update to 1.1.2 and don’t restore. Now run the jailbreak 1.1.2 from “Conceited Software”:http://conceitedsoftware.com/iphone/site/112jb.html. Run the installer adding the source “http://limitedditioniphone.com/lei.xml” and download anySim 1.2.1u, reboot the phone and put it into Airplane mode and run anySIM 1.2.1u, install iWorld
* Going from 1.0.2, you need to jailbreak that phone, then virginize, then install 1.1.1 and unlock it, oktoprep it, install 1.1.2 and run jailbreak 1.1.2
Powered by ScribeFire.