When you are trying to eke out a simple machine, there are a few things to think about:
- Ubuntu uses Unity which requires 3D acceleration. On a Atom Z550 this is unbearably slow.
- You can actually convert to LXDE with a simple `apt-get install lubuntu-desktop`
- Then when you log off then you can click on an icon and select lubuntu
- You then need the fastest browser you can find. Firefox was decent, but Chrome seems better
- Finally you need to `apt-get install gufw` which is the unified firewall
- Then you need to turn it on with `gufw`
- Now what you turn it ON, as a minimum should be ssh