OK with a few months now of Nexus 5X, MacBook Pro (late 2016) and the new Logitech Brio, here's a recommendations based on the longer article on long term cords to get in this conversion to USB C connectors for your every day carry (EDC), with the goal being to have two of everything with the smallest redundancy:
- JUC--01. Yes it is expensive at $40, but it has it all with full 100 watts, USB 3.1 Gen 2 10Gbps speeds. It is solid and all made, but the main issue is that it is only a meter long.
- Apple charging cable. At $20, this is long enough for all needs and supports the full 100 watts, most "phone charges" only support 15 watt maximums, so beware. With this one, you don't need that cheap cable, you got with your phone. I normally bring the 1 and 2 the meter in my bag.
- Apple USB C to Lightening cable. I carry just one and can get a second set from the adapters below
The next set of cables to carry are the USB A cables. these are for compatibility mode charging:
- Apple USB A to lightening. Everyone makes these, but the Apple ones do work the best long term.
- USB A to USB C adapter. There are lots flavors of this, but the third party Anker cables are nice in 1-meter, so you can always charge your phone at least with it or the laptop at a very low rate.
Adapters to carry
- USB C from USB-A. /this let's any old USB cable like the two above convert to USB C. I use this for back from my old cables.