Well someone asked how to do this and I've done this so many times it's a little silly. So while you can pay someone to do it or buy a package, it is actually pretty easy to do for yourself with some guides on the Internet like nolo.com, but here are the rough steps:
- Pick a name, it must be unique and there is a database of names
- Appoint yourself as the agent for getting legal papers.
- File a certificate of formation which you can do online
- Create an LLC operating agreement, if it is a single member LLC, you can use a stock template which is very base like at lawdepot.com
- Optionally, file with the IRS to get an employee identification number (EIN) if you want, you actually don't need this is you are a one-member LLC. I normally get one in case the thing grows (besides it's free) and is the way to get business discounts and things.
- Business license. you need to apply for one and there is a Business License Wizard. Hint to all, Kirkland WA for instance has a very low business tax but you need an address there.
- You may need to file a B&O tax if you make more than $12K and you have to register with the Department of Revenue
- Don't be like me and forget to file an annual report every year. I keep forgetting this with our LLCs!