Last Minute Bike Shopping
So here is what I finally got to get ready for the STP. Lots of miscellaneous last minute things:
* Campagnolo Record C10 Ultra Chain. “Biketiresdirect”:http://www.biketiresdirect.com/productdetail.asp?p=CARCH has them for $48 plus a flat $6 shipping per order. A good price. Slightly lower than $50 from “Colorado Cyclist”:http://www.coloradocyclist.com/common/products/productdisplay2_v2.cfm?PRRFNBR=30826&CGRFNBR=479&CRPCGNBR=479&CI=1,225,479&TextMode=0 if you hit the $150 minimum for free shipping, then go to Colorado. Otherwise Biketiresdirect. These are 20 grams lighter than the older Record Chain.
* Campagnolo Record Crank CT. Finally decided to just get the stock Record instead of the FSA mainly because I already have a Record bottom bracket and it will all fit. “Colorado Cylist”:http://www.coloradocyclist.com/common/products/productdisplay2_v2.cfm?PRRFNBR=34950&CGRFNBR=587&CRPCGNBR=587&CI=1,225,481,587&TextMode=0 has a $440 price for that. The alternative is the FSA SL-K Compact for $319 from “Wise Cycle Buys”:http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID4946883P4287005-Components-Individual/FSA/FSA-SL-K-MegaExo-Compact-Crankset-w-BB.aspx or if you don’t need to save the half an ounce, the Chorus CT is just $410 from “Colorado Cyclist”:http://www.coloradocyclist.com/common/products/productdisplay2_v2.cfm?PRRFNBR=34946&CGRFNBR=587&CRPCGNBR=587&CI=1,225,481,587&TextMode=0
* Campagnolo Chorus CT Front Derailleur. “Colorado Cyclist”:http://www.coloradocyclist.com/common/products/productdisplay2_v2.cfm?PRRFNBR=34958&CGRFNBR=483&CRPCGNBR=483&CI=1,225,483&TextMode=0 has them for $80. These are shaped differently and according to Bicycling, they will shift better with these. Although others report just lowering the front derailleur 10mm does the trick as well.
* “Campagnolo Record Bottom Bracket. This is $94 at “Wise Cycle”:http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID4946883P3251190-Components-Individual/Campagnolo/Campagnolo-Record/Campagnolo-Record-Bottom-Bracket.aspx with free shipping over $200. It is $103 at Colorado Cyclist. Alternatively, you can get the Phil Wood bottom bracket which is practically indestructible for $200 or so. It weighs just 140 grams vs. 190 grams for Record Bottom Bracket or 220 grams for Chorus.
* Veloflex Open Pave. Got these for $39 from “La Bicicletta”:http://www.labicicletta.com/edatcat/us/tlsstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=US-VElOCLINCHPAVE22 even with the $6 charge still cheaper than $45 from Colorado Cyclist.
* Castelli Ypro3 Bib Shorts. $150 from “Getfitsports”:http://www.getfitsports.com/castelli.htm. The best shorts out there for the money. Been using for years.
* “Hammergel”:http://www.roadbikereview.com/training/nutrition/Hammer/PRD_20548_1643crx.aspx. Mine was way too old. Still top rated for gels. You need the gels after the bars just won’t go down. Montlake Bike Shop has them or get them online from “E-caps”:http://www.e-caps.com/za/ECP?PAGE=HAMMEREXPRESS. “Endurance Zone”:http://www.endurancezone.com/ by the way also charges $7 for shipping but it will give you the first order with free shipping and “Trails Edge”:http://www.trails-edge.com/retail/hammergel/hammergel.htm throws in shipping if you order more than $25 worth.
* “Macalu Bar Tape”:http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Cork+Tape&vendorCode=MACALU&major=1&minor=32. I go through so much of this bar tape, I wonder if the $7 stuff from Excel Sports works as well as the $10 Cinelli I normally use from biketiresdirect.