Apple has really figured out the magic of integrating hardware, software and services. We just got the AirTag and I can't believe how simple it is to start using it as you can see in unboxing videos:
- The biggest trick is that you have to buy a case for the thing, I kind of wish they had shipped with one, but there are so many different needs, we ended up getting the way too expensive (but half the price of the Apple keychain). We got the DamonLight leather one and the yellow is nice.
- The hardest part about the installation is figuring out how to tear open the 4-pack. There isn't an easy way to do this so we just ripped (very unApple like, but I probably missed the tab.
- Then the second hardest part is figuring out how to remove the plastic wrap. I actually kind of regret it because that shiny aluminum surface looks like it is going to scratch in like seconds. So folks are already selling protective film for it.
- Then to make it actually work, you have to pull this tiny little plastic tab which enables the battery and you will hear a little nice ring tone when it is turned on.
- Finally, installation is super simple, if you have IOS 14.5, just put the AirTag an inch or so from the phone and it will detect it.
- Note that the AirTag is going to get tied to your identity, so if you are going to have different people use it, you will need their phones. There are a bunch of anti-stalking features, so make sure you pair it to the right phone.
- Then it will ask you what you want to tag and then it do the work and it just works.
If you have an iPhone 11 or 12, it uses Ultrawide band to tell you where the AirTag is super exactly. Just go to "Find My" and choose find and it works. Nice!