Need one of these portable speakers for presentations. Got an el cheapo Radio Shack thing for $40, but it is incredibly heavy and you have to bring two speakers. That’s because it uses 4C batteries each and is very bulky.
The reviews for portable speakers absolutely stink from the mainstream sites, but “Ipod lounge”:http://www.ipodlounge.com/reviews_more.php?id=5016_0_6_0_C seems to really care. The main frustration is that they aren’t reviewed scientifically for audio quality which is what a high end person would want. So what to do, most of the speakers are really bad in quality and most interestingly are designed now for the ipod. Here are some options:
* Tivoli Audio — Home of the Henry Kloss Model One Radio – Home. Kind of a neat idea, it is a traditional mono system that just sounds really great. Kind of like the Bose soundwave, but smaller. They make a 2lb single speaker called the iPAL. Ironically, it doesn’t actually integrate, but has the same colors and is smaller. It is kind of fat at 6x4x4 and expensive at $129. OTOH, if this actually does sound nice, it would be cool to have in a hotel room and it is a famous name. Because it also has an FM receiver, you could use it with the iTrip FM transmitter and the iPod. Mono only though. You can get via “ABT Electronics”:http://www.abtelectronics.com/scripts/site/site_search.php3?search_token=tivoli
* Radio Shack. They sell that portable speaker. I may just cut off on of the speakers and then use it. It is about the same dimensions. I’d estimate that it is about 5 pounds for the two speakers.
* Altec-Lansing “iM3”:http://www.alteclansing.com/product_details.asp?pID=IM3. Its expensive at around $149 street from Amazon. They have new newer one called the IM3 that is a little smaller and has a remote control. The older InMotions are less at $107. The best thing about it is that it is 8x1x6, so it is flat enough to fit into a bag. It is also about one pound. It is smaller and sleeker and has a remote control too. The sound is pleasant enough, but nothing to write home about.
* Altec-Lansing “iMMini”:http://altec-lansing.com/product_details.asp?pID=IMMINI. This is the Ipod mini version of the above, it only has two speakers though, but you can get it for $40 street ($129 list). At least “iPod lounge”:http://www.ipodlounge.com/reviews_more.php?id=4988_0_6_0_C think it sounds better (less boomy than the im3).
* Altec-Lansing “IM2”:http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=55-998-301&depa=0. Less sexy in appearance than the IM3, but it is only $40 and it has the same speakers, etc.
* JBL “Creature Active 2.1”:http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/jbl-creature/. Just “$68”:http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=2002191&blsrt=1 at Amazon, it has a subwoofer and isn’t portable, but sounds pretty good so is great if you don’t need it to be portable. Its a best buy
* JBL “On Stage”:http://www.ipodlounge.com/reviews_more.php?id=5159_0_6_0_M. These are expensive at $200, but sound much better than Altec Lansing, but still don’t sound as good as the Creatures.
* Monster “iSpeaker”:http://www.ipodlounge.com/reviews_more.php?id=2935_0_6_0_M. These sound like crud and cost $60, but they are flat planels, so are the size of two CD cases.