Changing your primary domain at Gsuite and WordPress
Ok, you have a placeholder name for your startup, but then a brilliant flash and suddenly
cool.com so how do you make the switch. Well, there are two places where this needs to happen. First is with Gsuite so that your email comes from the right place which is technically called, changing your primary domain:
- First, you need to register your domain in Gsuite’s Domain button and you need to make sure to add is as an
Add On Domainand not as a
Domain Alias. If you did it incorrectly as I did, then you have remove the Domain Alias and then choose
Add Another Domain.
- Once you do this, you will see a new button appear called
Make Primary Domain. Make sure that before you do this, that everyone knows the switch is coming!
- Now you need to go to the Users section and for each user, you have to choose
Rename Userand then in
Primary email`select a new primary domain for them. This let’s you keep some people on the old vs the new. Note that Google automagically makes sure that the old address still works as an alias.
To make this all work on WordPress, it’s a little trickier, but basically:
- Point the new domain to your wordpress site.
- Login via ssh to that machine and run
certbotthis will make sure the SSL certificate is now active for the new domain
- Go to the WordPress Admin and change the domain to the
new domainand you are there.