Wow sucky transient problems are the worst. Here are my two of the week…
Mac Browsers stopped working
As really strange problem. But the jynenety worked fine but not of the browsers did. Safari, Firefox and Chrome all reported no connection and a proxy problem.
When I get these I always disable my NordVPN which has both a threat protection and a full vpn. And then I noticed there was a proxy server there. Think this is probably the AVG antivirus but disabling didn’t work at all.
Finally the only solution was a reboot. I’m guessing it was a bad AVG installation interacting with MacOS Ventura but can’t find anything about this on the internet. Sigh.
I saw a proxy at a strange port in the 40000s but don’t see it anymore. Strange. Will report it if see more. it hasn’t returned in a week…
B80587C2 blue screen of death on HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M479fdw
We’ve had a bunch of trouble with this printer. First of all one machine never seems to be able to connect. I can see the device on the network and ping it but the printer just hangs. One time I fixed it be installing the HP Smart software but it never worked right. The never stop was fine.
I did get a suspicious error message saying do you want to switch to HP drivers so I’m assuming there is a driver bug.
But then I went to the printer and saw an actual Blue Screen of Death which had the numbers B80587C2. (As a silly aside I was in the meeting where a genius at Microsoft got the Black screen error message changed. I still remember the “At least make the error blue!” and there it is 30 years later 🙂
I don’t even realize it was an error message. There is just that text with an information icon. When our one good machine didn’t work either the miracle of Google found the exact same problem. With one of those resolutions that leave you convinced most computers are haunted by voodoo. Basically twiddle with wifi then reboot and pray.
It sure does sound like there’s a bug in MacOS Ventura drivers as we found it will AirPrint from iOS sort of fine. It would print only six pages at a time. Sigh HP.
We did check firmware on the HP and it EAS at its newest. I think either a firmware update there or in Ventura caused it. Sigh.
Do I tried Bing AI Chat and it was useless
So I tried to ask ChatGPT on Bing with the prompt
And here is what I got. You can see it search and it annotates with footnotes but it’s generic support junk. It did find the same page that I found but nothing much else…
I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your HP Color LaserJet printer. It seems that this error code B80587C2 has been reported by other users as well¹. One suggestion is to try resetting the printing system and adding a compatible driver². You can also check for the latest driver released for macOS Ventura update on HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads ³.
As for iPhone printing, I'm not sure why it only prints the first six pages. Can you provide more details about this issue?
Source: Conversation with Bing, 3/14/2023(1) HP Color Laserjet Pro MFP M479fdw blue screen error B80587C2. https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Errors-or-Lights-Stuck-Print-Jobs/HP-Color-Laserjet-Pro-MFP-M479fdw-blue-screen-error-B80587C2/td-p/8478193 Accessed 3/14/2023.
(2) Problems printing with HP printer from Mac OS. https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/Problems-printing-with-HP-printer-from-Mac-OS/td-p/6874423 Accessed 3/14/2023.
(3) MacOS Ventura : HP printer / Scanner not … - Apple Community. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254552801 Accessed 3/14/2023.
(4) Unable to print with Mac OS Ventura 13.0 on my Color LaserJe… - HP …. https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Errors-or-Lights-Stuck-Print-Jobs/Unable-to-print-with-Mac-OS-Ventura-13-0-on-my-Color/td-p/8528412 Accessed 3/14/2023.
And the follow on was even more useless but nicely formatted…
I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble printing all pages from your iPhone to your HP Color LaserJet printer. One suggestion is to make sure that your printer has the latest firmware version installed and that your iOS device is updated to the most recent version¹. You can also try turning off Bluetooth on your iOS device before attempting to print again⁴.
If these steps do not resolve the issue, you may want to try reaching out to HP Support for further assistance ¹.
Source: Conversation with Bing, 3/14/2023(1) printer won't print from iphone - HP Support Community - 6479497. https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Errors-or-Lights-Stuck-Print-Jobs/printer-won-t-print-from-iphone/td-p/6479497 Accessed 3/14/2023.
(2) HP LaserJet Pro - Troubleshoot AirPrint issues. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03563697 Accessed 3/14/2023.
(3) Simple Ways to Print from iPhone to HP Printer: 13 Steps - wikiHow. https://www.wikihow.com/Print-from-iPhone-to-HP-Printer Accessed 3/14/2023.
(4) printer not printing all pages - HP Support Community - 7043870. https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Errors-or-Lights-Stuck-Print-Jobs/printer-not-printing-all-pages/td-p/7043870 Accessed 3/14/2023.
(5) HP printer setup (Apple AirPrint for iPhone, iPad). https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_1946968-1947068-16 Accessed 3/14/2023.
MacOS Ventura all browsers show proxy problem
Ok here’s a weird one. Booted up to find that a
So I asked Bing AI: somewhat helpful and useless
why is there a proxy server on my Mac. port 48100. could it be avg?
And here is what I got back…first I saw the searched
Then I got text and it annotates with footnotes where the data came from. Pretty useful!
A proxy server is a server that acts as an intermediary between your Mac and other servers on the internet. It can help you access blocked websites, hide your IP address, or improve your online security¹².
To check if you have a proxy server on your Mac, you can go to System Settings > Network > Details > Proxies and see if any of the options are enabled²³.
AVG is a software company that provides antivirus and VPN services. AVG Secure VPN is one of their products that lets you browse the web privately and securely using a proxy server⁵⁷. AVG also has an option to set up a proxy server for its online update feature⁴.
If you have AVG installed on your Mac, it is possible that it has configured a proxy server for you. You can check this by going to AVG > Tools > Advanced Settings > Update > Proxy and see if it is set to Manual or Auto⁴. If it is set to Manual, you can see the server address and port number that AVG uses. If it is set to Auto, AVG will detect the best proxy server for you automatically.
If you want to disable or change the proxy server settings on your Mac or AVG, you can follow the instructions from the links provided in the search results.
I hope this helps. Do you have any other questions? 😊
Source: Conversation with Bing, 3/14/2023(1) How to Configure a Proxy Server on a Mac - How-To Geek. https://www.howtogeek.com/293444/how-to-configure-a-proxy-server-on-a-mac/ Accessed 3/14/2023.
(2) Change proxy settings on Mac - Apple Support. https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-proxy-settings-on-mac-mchlp2591/mac Accessed 3/14/2023.
(3) Enter proxy server settings on Mac - Apple Support. https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/enter-proxy-server-settings-on-mac-mchlp25912/mac Accessed 3/14/2023.
(4) AVG Secure VPN Pricing & Plan Cost in 2023 - security.org. https://www.security.org/vpn/avg/ Accessed 3/14/2023.
(5) AVG Secure VPN Proxy & Privacy - Apps on Google Play. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.avg.android.vpn Accessed 3/14/2023.
(6) How to Set up Proxy in AVG for its Online Update Step by Step? - Youngzsoft. https://www.youngzsoft.net/ccproxy/faq_26.htm Accessed 3/14/2023.
(7) How to Set up Proxy in AVG for its Online Update Step by Step? - Youngzsoft. https://www.youngzsoft.net/ccproxy/faq_26.htm Accessed 3/14/2023.
(8) AVG Secure VPN | Official AVG Support - AVG AntiVirus. https://support.avg.com/support_secure_vpn?l=en Accessed 3/14/2023.
(9) Free VPN Download for Windows PC | AVG. https://www.avg.com/en-gb/secure-vpn Accessed 3/14/2023.