Been doing quite a bit of skiing with the kids. Big thing has been keeping them safe and warm, so I've been surfing looking for the right clothes. Here's what I've found:
- About.com - Skiing Buyer's Guide. This looks like a pretty comprehensive review of just about everything.
- Ski Magazine Gloves 2003 Review. On gloves at Ski Magazine, where they liked the Seirus' nylon AirStream Glove ($40) and the Cloudveil?s waterproof leather Troller Glove ($65).
- Budget Skis and Boots. Lower cost that the $1400 list that a top rated set cost.
- Ski Helmets. Not everyone gets one, but it does seem pretty important. We got the Boeri from REI mainly because fit seemed to matter quite a bit and these fit the little guys head.
- Top 10 Things for Happy Kids while Skiing. A good guide of the warm things kids need. Most important are warm feet and warm gloves.
- Ski Sock Guide. Thorlo and SmartWool come out on top. Our kids are nearly childrens size 2 1/2, so they are really too big for kids socks, to find the conversion at Sock Size Conversions.
- Kidz N Show. Haven't used it too much, but also dedicated to children skiing with a special Apparel review that highlights good manufacturers.
- Kryptonite Ski Locks. A sad thing, but you do need a ski lock too.
Where to shop
In terms of places that I shop, there are a couple that I've found have good prices and good service:
- REI. When you have to get fit and need it right away, REI just can't be beat.
- These are the online stores that I compare and then buy from:
- Outback Gear
- Backcountry Store
- Campmor. Usually has the best prices, but most limited selection.
- Cabellas. Has some skiing, but is incredible for fishing
- Snow Leopard and Alpine Ski Center. Top rated at bizrate.com and Ski Magazine, they have a nice selection, but i've not personally tried them yet.
- Ski Helmets. Reviews and a place that only sells Ski Helmets. I love it!
- Winter Kids. A web site just for kids winter clothes. Haven't tried yet, but a cool concept.
Miscellaneous things are sizing charts like that REI is an incredible resource for as well as specific ones for Columbia Sportswear Childrens Sizes
I really like this site as well … I do own it however… Check us out for all your outdoor needs. We beat most prices by 5%
Comments are closed.