Mitsubishi Promise Module
More indepth look at the decision on getting the right over-the-air set-top-box. Here are relevant links:
* Home Theater SPOT!. This is the debate about the Promise module for the Mitsubishi. It has an OTA tuner built-in, but costs $1K. Main advantage is the Firewire-5C for connecting with all digital copy protected settop boxes.
* “Digital Inputs Firewire-5C vs. DVD-HDCP”:http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB10&Number=374544&page=5&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1. There is much debate about which input is going to become standard. Relevant since Promise only has one sort. Says that the “Samsung T165”:http://www.bestphotovideo.com/store/samsung_SIR-T165.html and the upcoming new “JVC DishPVR 921”:http://www.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-20787330-0.html will have both outputs and will be available later in 2003.
* “Seattle Cable HDTV”:http://hdtvpub.com/local/viewReports.cfm/zipcode_98112/dma_819/city_Seattle/cableco_4/. Must be the most underpublicized program in history. AT&T has had HD Cable for SHO and HBO for a year and no one talks about it.
Other good sites for over-the-air work:
* “AntennaWeb”:www.antennaweb.org. A great site that will tell you where the high definition TV signals are.
* “Titan TV”:http://www.titantv.com/ttv/home/HDTVUpdate.aspx. A great list of current HDTV programs on the air right now.