OK, what kind of gear do you need for a 4 day trip, here are some notes from outdoorgearlab, backpacker.com and outdoor.com:
- Backpacks. They really like the Arcteryx Altra 64 is the best by a long margin with the main issue being its cost (but on the other hand, a backpack lasts a lifetime). Backpacker also has these
- Bivy Sack. I've always wanted one of these and it is so convenient and Backpacker liked Integral Designs Penguin Reflexion and Rab Super Light Bivys, but a Bivy Shelter seems more useful as it is like a mini tent according to REI
- Bivy Shelter. On Amazon, the most popular is the US Military Surplus cover at $42 and it has 4.5 start but isn't a shelter really, next up is Aqau-Quest One Man Tent. This is about 1 kilo, so amazingly a 3 person tent like the Big Agnes Fly Creek 3 is just under 4 pounds. Good ones seems to be the Outdoor Research Advance Bivy and the Integral Designs Unishelter Expedition.
- Bear Canister. There are three sizes. The biggest is 8.7 x 12.7 inches and is $80 BearVault BV500 for a week or longer and for weekends the UDAP No-Fed-Bear Bear Resistant Container is $70. 8x10", 2'7oz.
- Short pad. The winners here seem to Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Xlite at 12 ounces for regular and 8 ounces for small and Xtherm (a heavier 4 season) and is just 15 ounces..
- Running pack