So after talking with "Brad":http://www.thesilverbergs.com, here is what I'm going to get to update my bike and get ready for the 2005 STP:
* Lickbike.com | FSA Carbon Pro Elite Compact Road Crank. He uses these and confirms they are just great. $280 from Lickton's as part number 0086-72. Discontinued now, so "Excel Sports":http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Carbon+Pro+Compact+Crankset+ISIS&vendorCode=FSA&major=1&minor=13 has them for $290 also. Replaced by the "SL-K Compact Mega Exo":http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&major=1&minor=13&description=SL%2DK+Compact+MegaExo+w+BB&vendorCode=FSA which has its own bottom bracket integrated for $350. It weighs 765 grams including the bottom bracket, so effectively the bottom bracket is 220 grams and it is proprietary which is good for FSA, not so good for me 🙂
* "Phil Wood Titanium":http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='0158-25'. OK, I'm splurging but I need as ISIS bottom bracket and these Phil Woods wil last forever plus they weigh just 139 grams. The 0158-08 is the 108mm width version. $125.
* "Phil Wood Bottom Bracker":http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='0168-16'. OK, you also need special locking rings $30 as part number 0168-13 for English threads (most common type these days). You also need blue Loctite to get them in and keep them in
* "Phil Wood Bottom Bracket Installation Tool":http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='2487-00'. $11 for a little magic part. You really need a pair of these to make it easy to install.
* "Campagnolo Record Chain":http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='0286-04'. $60 for a chain!!!? They do weigh 259 grams though for part 0286-04. Or you can get for $48 from "Biketiresdirect.com":http://www.biketiresdirect.com/productdetail.asp?p=CARCH or $52 from "totalcycling.com":http://www.totalcycling.com/Templates/frmTemplateP1.asp?CatalogID=760&Zoom=Yes&SubFolderId=180. If you a cheap, the Shimano Dura Ace 10 speed "chain":http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='0297-00' should also work, no guarantees on how shifting is. It weighs 304 grams though but is just $33. This is regularly $50 from "Excel Sports":http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Chain+Record+C10+Ultra&vendorCode=CAMP&major=1&minor=11
* "Superlink":http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='0338-08'. If you are getting a chain, get this tool-less chain connector. $7 as part 0338-10.
Then as usual, there are the consumables that matter including. Note for that sdeals.com and totalcycling.com, they charge from the Portugal and the UK respectively and it is $6 per order from biketiresdirect.com, $4 per item for Sdeals and $22 for the whole package from totalcycling.com:
* "Veloflex Pave":http://www.biketiresdirect.com/productdetail.asp?p=VFPAV. I've had great succes with this ultralight tire. Only 180 grams and wears a long time. $45 from Biketiresdirect.com. It is made in the same factory that used to make Victorios before those got sent to Thailand. "Totalcycling":http://www.totalcycling.com/Templates/frmTemplateP1.asp?CatalogID=274&Zoom=Yes&SubFolderId=37 also has these for $41. "Sdeals":http://www.sdeals.com/Veloflex2151.htm has them for $40 plus $4 shipping.
* "USE Alien Carbon Road Seatpost":http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesomewhere.cfm/product/7/83/885. or "USE Seat Clamp":http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1044. I've had the same post for five years now, but I've worn through the little screw on the head. $111 from totalcycling.com now. $125 for a new one. Hard to assemble the head, but the lightest post around. 27.2mm/270mm long fits nicely. "Pricepoint":http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/11714-275_USECR2-3-Parts-68-Seatposts/USE-Alien-Carbon-Road-Seatpost.htm also has them as does Performance.
* You can also get the clamp itself since that is all that is broken for about $22 from "Chain Reaction":http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1044. There is a new seatpost adjustment called the "USE Alien Cyclops":http://www.trisportnews.com/articles/2004/10/000057.html that you can get for $30 that is easier. You get by calling ibexsports.com. It is not listed on their website but phoned in my order (603-431-3023). Or "Wiggle.co.uk":http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?Main=Manufacturer.aspx&Manufacturer=USE&cat=cycle&UberCatName=&UberCat=0&w=0&CategoryName= has it for 15 pounds plus shipping.
* "Campagnolo Bike Computer 31mm bar": This lists for $31, but you can get for $12 from totalcycling. I've current ziptied my smaller mount and it keeps moving.
"Ergolever Hoods":http://totalcycling.com/Templates/frmTemplateP1.asp?CatalogID=577&Zoom=Yes&SubFolderId=184. My hoods got all ruined in a crash and at $30 it wasn't worth it to replace it, but it doesn't look great. 12 pounds at totalcycling.com
* "M5 Titanium Bolts":http://www.totalcycling.com/Templates/frmTemplateP1.asp?CatalogID=1065&Zoom=Yes&SubFolderId=163. I never had time to get new titanium bolts for my Time Monolink, but Totalcycling has them for $7 each. Don't know if 12, 15 or 18mm is right though. I'm guessing 15mm.