phone: US Mobile and the mysteries of eSIMs on Pixel 6 and 6 Pro phones
Wow, this was really hard. The basic problem was I think the directions have changed quite a bit, but the main trick or problem is that with Android 12, you actually need to put a physical SIM into it to "trick" it into giving you an esim (aka SIM2), so the steps are:
- You need to find a nano sim. The real trick here is that the Google Pixel 6 phones do *not* use their eSIM unless they already have a Sim inside them. So open your phone and find a spare Sim does not have to be activated, it just has to be there.
- Now when you go to Settings > Network & Internet and choose to Add a Network and then pick the Other network. The trick here is if you abandon this installation, a new eSim called SIM2 is added.
- So now go to Settings > About and go to the Sim section or go to the phone application and type *#06# to get the SIM2.
- Now to the US Mobile site and choose eSim activation, then it will ask you for the SIM2 number and type it in.
- This should validate and then you should pick your plan. We use a data pooled plan so for $9/month you get unlimited talk and text and then share a single data pool.
- Finally, you get a QR code, go back to the Settings > Network & Internet and you will the Add a Network has changed to SIMS and choose the + and then Other Network and then you will scan the QR code that is there. So yes this means that you have to have a separate device to do this.
- The phone will then ask to set up USM. It took me a while to realized this meant US Mobile and you are done!
- Remove the first SIM and it should all work.