Suppose you want to move from a site.com to a new site.com on another hoster. Here are the steps:
- First if you use WordPress Export/Import, the one quirk is that the export does not include the actual Media Library, instead, it includes URL links.
- That means that to do a swap, you need to leave the old site up and then do an export.
- Create a new site with a different name like newsite.somewhereelse.com
- Then do the import which will copy from the oldsite.com to the newsite.somewherelse.com
- You probably want to keep having access to the old site, so go to
oldsite.com/wp-adminand change the location to something like
- Finally when the import is done, you can change the DNS, so that newsite.somewhereelse.com becomes oldsite.com.